If you think you have a virus, DON'T PANIC! There is a lot of malware cruising around in the world, some of it extremely sophisticated. Generally it is only a matter of time before a computer becomes infected, especially if it has inadequate or no antiviral software installed.
Symptoms that might indicate your computer has a virus
- The computer is sluggish.
- Your web browser suddenly looks different or automatically goes to a website you do not recognize.
- The computer has become unstable and keeps crashing.
- You cannot access certain files because they have been corrupted (message to that effect will be displayed).
- The computer gives every indication of sudden hard drive failure.(Yes, it could be a real hard drive failure.)
Removing the virus
In many cases, we will be able to remove the virus from your computer without having to wipe your hard drive clean and restarting from scratch. Some of your data may be lost, but the majority should be fine. You can restore the lost parts from your backup files. (You do regularly back up your data, right?)